Tuesday, February 9, 2016

pyrex.jpg
This is a picture of the yellow dish I received from my aunt one night when I was visiting her at her house, it is from one of my great-grandmother's, on my dad's side of the family.
We were sitting at her dining room table, when I spotted the dish in her cabinets and instantly freaked out.
The dish was hiding in the back of her open cabinets, behind the sea of other mismatched dishes.
Her dishes all have so much color and vibrancy.
This dish is matching the bowl set that my family brought back for me when my Great-Grandma Warden (whom is my mother’s grandma)  auctioned off her house and all of her things.
I asked them to bring me back one thing when they went to my Great-Grandma Warden’s auction, and that was a pyrex nesting bowl set.
I had wanted my own set of pyrex nesting bowls for a long time, my step-dad has a set and I fell in love with them.
Since they weren’t mine I couldn’t take them with me when I moved and that is what I wanted them for.
I use those bowls for everything in the kitchen, from mixing to storing.
They truly are the best bowls anyone could ever ask for.
When they got these bowls home they were this ugly yellow color, that resembled the color of a yellow squash.
I love yellow squash, but the color, I’m not a fan.
Pyrex calls this color “Butterfly Gold”, I call it ugly.
I think I can manage to get past the ugly “Butterfly Gold” color because,
this extremely ugly colored dish and bowl set mean the world to me.
The reason this bowl set and dish mean so much to me is because the dish came from my dad’s side of the family and the bowls from my mom’s side of the family.
Ever since I can remember my parents haven't been together, maybe for the best, maybe not.
Who cares? I sure don’t.
Ever since I was young I have jokingly said that I was born into the wrong family, for I’m nothing like anyone that is in my family.
I look like them, but we have very clashing personalities, we are so different.
My mom drives me absolutely crazy, when she comes over I’m sometimes praying that she leaves sooner rather than later.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the woman to death, but I like to love her from a distance.
It’s kinda dorky but to me these dishes symbolize that I wasn’t born into the wrong family, that I’m right where I’m supposed to be.
I know that I wasn’t actually born into the wrong family, I look too much like them to be switched at birth or something, but we are not even close to the same person.
And that’s okay!
(Update: My Great-Grandma Warden is alive and well, she just didn't need her house anymore, as she moved to an elderly folks home.)

1 comment: